Sunday, December 8, 2013

College after 30

This year I decided to do the real thing...college.  Not the trade school 10 month training school but the actual college with semesters.  August was the first month I started and I took the placement test.  I had to take english compression beginners and basic pre algebra. I bought my supplies, stapler for my essays, hole punch for the work that is handed back, I have to keep everything incase a grade isnt logged right.  I bought a new laptop with the windows 8. I felt a little apprehensive considering I have done this before like ten years ago and flunked out from the algebra class. As the months went by, I felt I was getting in the swing of things.  I was doing the homework and keeping up wish the classes.  The one thing I did have to get used to was that the math homework was all done online. Maneuvering through the site was a new experience.  I was used to doing homework writing everything down.  What I like about the online homework it has helpful assistant icons to help understand a problem and walks you through it.  I really could of used that ten years ago.  In the english class it's a bit of a refreshet coarse, how to write an essay with word cited, grammar,  proper punctuation. To be honest I love writing.   I am not good at it at all but I think it is the side of the brain hemisphere it uses is exhilarating.   The teacher has us read a short story and write about it by explaining different aspects of the reading.  It really made me think hard in a way I normally dont thing about things I read.   This class made me look deeper in what I read of different kinds of writings there are out there.  Because of this class I was going to change my learning course to English literature instead of what I am currently studying for Social Worker...I really think I am going to change the major.

With all that I have learned in the first semester of my College academic learning, I have a open mind than I did when I was nineteen.  I have more focus and understanding how to study, and learn how I can learn.

I am very hopeful I will succeed in the years to come in college, after all I have more to lose now.  Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment